On July 12, 2017, websites, Internet users, and online communities will come together to sound the alarm about the FCC’s attack on net neutrality. Learn how you can join the protest and spread the word at https://www.battleforthenet.com/july12/.
Right now, new FCC Chairman and former Verizon lawyer Ajit Pai has a plan to destroy net neutrality and give big cable companies immense control over what we see and do online. If they get their way, the FCC will give companies like Comcast, Verizon, and AT&T control over what we can see and do on the Internet, with the power to slow down or block websites and charge apps and sites extra fees to reach an audience.
If we lose net neutrality, we could soon face an Internet where some of your favorite websites are forced into a slow lane online, while deep-pocketed companies who can afford expensive new “prioritization” fees have special fast lane access to Internet users – tilting the playing field in their favor.
But on July 12th, the Internet will come together to stop them. Websites, Internet users, and online communities will stand tall, and sound the alarm about the FCC’s attack on net neutrality.
The Battle for the Net campaign will provide tools for everyone to make it super easy for your friends, family, followers to take action. From the SOPA blackout to the Internet Slowdown, we've shown time and time again that when the Internet comes together, we can stop censorship and corruption. Now, we have to do it again!
Learn more and join the action here: https://www.battleforthenet.com/july12
- Add our activism widgets to your website. These widgets make it easy for your followers to see what the internet would be like without net neutrality - and then drives them to take action to protect the free and open internet. You can grab them here.
- Write a blog post about it. Whether you're a creator, business, or blogger, tell your audience why net neutrality is important to you and the work you do. Feel free to borrow some sample language here.
- Tell the press your company or website supports net neutrality. We've got an example press release you can follow here.
- Tweet to your followers. You can click to tweet here or use some of our sample tweets as a guide here.
- Post about it on Facebook. Click here or use of one of these examples.
- Tell your viewers on YouTube, Vimeo, or Twitch. Talk about net neutrality and link to battleforthenet.com/july12 in your show notes.
- Change your profile picture or avatar. You can download our images here.
- Email your contacts or list about it. Here is a sample email you can copy and paste or tweak to suit your audience.
We're hard at work finalizing all the details and content for the Day of Action itself, and we'll be in regular contact with you over the next few days so you know what to expect and how you can help. You can check out what we're working on here.
We really encourage you to get creative and think about how you can best get your audience to participate, whether it’s by prominently putting something on your site, sending a push notification, posting on social, making a video, or anything else you can think of!